iraq news politics war terrorism terrorists insurgent cnn soldier sailor navy army marine mortar gun bomb attack iran middle east

Friday, February 02, 2007

It aint Peets or Starbuck but it'll work in a pinch…

Folks that know me even a little, know there's one vice I'm so partial to that I refuse to live without it… No Jason/Tiffany et.al.- despite all the pictures and stories to the contrary – it aint tequila!

I love coffee - been drinkin it since I was in the womb! Once upon a time I even aspired to open a coffee house. Still might. Hell - One cold day in Anchorage Alaska I drank a little over 10 large Lattes from the BAD ASS Coffee House. (Shameless plug: Best Kona coffee available) Yeah I was a bit wired but two weeks without Starbucks or any sorta espresso drink in the deep frozen Tundra… I was jonesin somethin awful. Before headin east – Middle East that is – I was constantly headin over to the Peets tryin to fill a deep dark void I was certain was in my future. Let's face it, I know Starbucks is tryin to open a store on ever corner of the world but I am fairly certain Baghdad isn't quite that high on the priorities list if you know what mean. Imagine my surprise when I rolled into the middle of the Kuwaiti desert and found this oasis of black gold: GreenBeans Coffee
Military contractors find a way to scratch every itch and some smart cookie figured out we're all hopped up on high-end caffeine and are willing to pay any price to get it. So someone might as well sell us some. I was even happier to see that we have one of these coffee shops here in Baghdad in the ballroom where I work; open 24hrs a day even. So when I get to spendin a non-stop 30hr shift strategizin with other sleepy "smart folks" on how to solve some silly security problem or socioeconomic policy, I take it upon myself to stroll down the hall and visit the ole bean!

Now that I'm thinkin about it… Perhaps if we really want to tame the ole locals, Starbucks oughta open a storefront or thirty out here. The sale of Triple Mocha Lattes to all the US contractors and military personnel alone would provide an economic aid package rivalin that of a US Govt contractor budget alone. And I tell you what, with all those young local Iraqis wearin trademark green aprons and caps, servin long lines of caffeine addicted Americans; maybe they'd feel a part of something bigger, they wouldn’t be so bored and most likely they'd all have a hell of a lot less time to throw rockets at us. I might not even mind payin $6.00 or $7.00 a cup for the privilege. How boutcha Starbucks?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't forget the donuts!

Anonymous said...

There's free coffee right next to it! You damn corporate Hollywood hack, shell of a talent, draining the life from the underground with your fancy suits and sunglasses... Lovebreed, the burnt coffee in the hallway is free. And it is every bit as burnt as the coffe from the damn corporate establishment which exploits the workers. Damn Hollywood studio types always having to have their fancy coffees. Don't even get me going on the damn grilled sandwiches.