iraq news politics war terrorism terrorists insurgent cnn soldier sailor navy army marine mortar gun bomb attack iran middle east

Sunday, January 28, 2007

The gastronomic war

One thing I heard from shipmates before heading out here was that I will either gain 30lbs or lose 30lbs. Why? Because the food is great and the Gym is open 24x7 and most people frequent one but not both. I'm seeking balance. Here on base we eat at the Dining Facility lovingly known as the DFAC. Think of it as a cafeteria that pretty much has anything you want; four or five entrees, side dishes a salad bar or fast food line or soup or… I know my sister will think of the TV show M.A.S.H. complete with Klinger slinging powered runny eggs on an ugly tray. I can assure you those days are gone. We get treated to everything including Lobster tail, T-Bone steaks and bountiful amounts of Ice Cream from Baskin Robbins. The portions are as copious as the diversity. One thing we don't lack is food. The reasoning? Well the Narmy marches… err swims… on its stomach. At first I ate everything. And yes, I've gained weight. But the funniest thing is starting to happen. Even with all the varieties I realize I am slowly growing tired of DFAC food. These days I only eat one or two things and usually pick at that for a while. Now I am fully aware I could be eating MREs but I just can't quite find my appetite any more. It may be sacrilege for a Texan but even the steak is no longer appealing and my once favorite Indian curry bar is becoming as appetizing as those powered runny eggs. All I need now is a crazy food server dressed in drag. I spose there's nothing left to do now but head on over to the gym.

No comments: