iraq news politics war terrorism terrorists insurgent cnn soldier sailor navy army marine mortar gun bomb attack iran middle east

Sunday, February 04, 2007

The lengths we go through to preserve tradition…

As a Texan, American Football is a religion. It starts early… Grade school, Middle school, High school, College… Hook em Horns! Everyone knows I Bleed Orange!... NFL!
Honestly I was a little late to the sport being a swimmer most of my life, but early in my college years, I found the Longhorns (and the Cowboys.) Life has been complete ever since. Well almost – there was that dropped ball at fourth and goal this year by a certain Cowboy quarterback but I digress. For the Past 11 years I've hosted a Super Bowl Sunday Bar BQ rivaling any gathering for a "traditional" holiday. (Last year I actually smoked around 150lbs of meat.) So this year, I wasn’t about to let a trivial excursion in Bagdad stand in the way of such a paramount tradition. Along with my typical cohorts in crime, I am hosting the party The 12th Annual Breedlove SuperBowl BBQ Big Bash "long distance." Hey this is the digital revolution after all. My biggest challenge is watching a ball game between 3 am to 6 or 7 am. Essentially were not sleeping tonight. But the ability to call home and share an experience and talk with friends that are such a long way away (mentally and physically) is just too enticing. Lately when watching folks celebrate some religious festivals with violent passion, I ask myself, why is this 1400 year old event so important? Then I remember the USC loss to the Longhorns in 06 or a Super Bowl party I need to host…
Yeah – It's that important!

2 comments:

JustRox said...

I for one will miss your meat, and your PETA shirt and most of all your company! I have to go to work today, but am "praying" for relatively bug-free QA reports so I can do some fixes, get the hell out of there and party with the Thirsty Trio.

Hey, I may be godless but that doesn't mean I don't keep SOME important religious traditions! ;-)

(((( Lieutenant )))

residentlush said...

Dude, the BBQ was great - how the hell did you manage to work the smoker and grill from there in Baghdad? ;)