iraq news politics war terrorism terrorists insurgent cnn soldier sailor navy army marine mortar gun bomb attack iran middle east

Tuesday, March 06, 2007

What do you do with a 100lb. brain?

I’m starting to feel stabilized in my new position. There are a couple of hick-ups here and there but all in all, complaining helps no one and only serves to create discontent among the troops. The one thing I’ve learned in my short time in the military is change is constant. I know enough by now that if I’m at all ”comfortable” in my position then something’s wrong and change is imminent. Typically I embrace change but the trouble I’m finding here is that my situation tends to go from bad to worse and after 7 moves in 2.5 months I’m more than a bit gun shy. My recent motto has become NAVY - Never Again Volunteer Yourself! A slogan I’ve learned from my Academy grad friends. Today I was informed by my boss that I am being head-hunted (yet again) by another group. She’s not too excited… Not all that sure I am either. I am a good fit for Strategy and Long Range Planning. Sure enough, I was called into a room and interviewed for a new job. While it sounds exciting and it gets me into the fight I am still reluctant to leave my folks behind and as I’ve mentioned before, I’m already burned out. All I hear is that these guys are the elite group reporting directly to the “Big Guy” and that they tend to work longer hours than anyone in the group. Not a good thing to hear when you’re already surging 16 to 18hr days. The trade off? These guys are in the fight. There is potential for travel and yes I saw their products… They are really good. The position affords me an opportunity to execute some of our strategies, gets me out and about among the Iraqi people, challenges me to grow in other areas and puts me in a position to replace a PhD. Now titles don’t mean much to me but it is flattering they chose me as a possible candidate to replace that sort of 100lb brain. I’ve met the guy and believe me he’s really cool but I have to add… who ever heard of an Army PhD? That’s sort of like military intelligence - it’s an oxymoron. I am too tired to make the decision. I fall back to the needs of the services – I leave it to senior leadership decide where I provide the best bang for the buck!

2 comments:

monster's mom said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
monster's mom said...
This comment has been removed by the author.