iraq news politics war terrorism terrorists insurgent cnn soldier sailor navy army marine mortar gun bomb attack iran middle east

Thursday, March 08, 2007

Hollywood - this is crap, but it is the best I have in me.

Due in part to the success of an earlier entry, Captain KJ and I requested that Mr BUA write one final guest blog a couple of days ago, before his planned departure. After many hours of packing far too much Army issued gear and preparing for a journey home that takes way too much time to complete, he spared a few moments to throw something together. With that I let him leave you with his own parting words…

There is something bittersweet about leaving. As you head out the door you know you will miss many of the people, but at the same time you really do not want to stay a second longer. Anyone who spends time in the military learns that there are always new people rolling in and veterans heading out. It is a funny thing -- one day you are the replacement learning the ropes and the next thing you know, you are the guy who everyone goes to for information. How did this happen? Hollywood doesn’t even realize it but he already is developing his crustiness and will soon be looked upon as one of the veterans here. Eventually he too will ponder what he will take away from this place. I know after I leave here the dark times will fade and only the good memories will remain. It is our way of survival in life. Somewhere in those memories will be Hollywood, Captain KJ, John Squared, GSL, the future congressman, Lee Marvin, Ninja Squirt, TAM, Swordman, and a host of other colorful and entertaining characters. There will be happy dances and trips to the DFAC for some pie and coffee at midrats.

In my time here I have watched more news than ever before. I have gotten to know all the cable news anchors. And I must tell you quite frankly – news in America doesn’t really tell you much. It focuses on three or four key stories and runs them into the ground. And many of those stories hardly qualify as news. I now know all about Anna Nichol Smith’s death, Britney shaving her head, American Idol and a great variety of other stories that really don’t impact my life in any way.

I know Hollywood is hoping I would write some sort of spiffy send off. Truth is I am tired at this point – mentally exhausted from trying to understand this place called Iraq – and I just want to go home to my wife and kids. I wish I could tell you I did something exciting, but I didn’t do much that would even make for an interesting made-for-TV movie. Still, if I made the place a little better, I think that was enough. I will save spiffy for the marketing man. I have to go find a cure for a brain cloud.

Be well and support your troops.

Mr Bua

1 comment:

monster's mom said...

Mr Bua, you better not disappear from us! I hope you have a great time with your family and keep us posted :)