iraq news politics war terrorism terrorists insurgent cnn soldier sailor navy army marine mortar gun bomb attack iran middle east

Thursday, May 17, 2007

Staring at the Sun…

This morning my walk to work was surrounded by a beige world… not just a color but a thickness. You can tell a storm is coming. The air is full of… well dirt. It’s so substantial it actually filters the sun. I looked at the sun for minutes with no eye protection. It was this brilliant white orb just above the palm trees. I stood there and gazed in fascination for several minutes in awe that I wasn’t going blind. Sometimes the simplest things provide the most pleasure...

I’ve been in an email chain over the past couple of days with a good friend who informs me his boss (a marketing exec) wanted to do something for the troops. While the gesture seemed considerate, the offer of support was so disconnected from the reality of the needs and wants here that I was shocked and in disbelief. It was based on marketing analysis from the states that don’t work here. It was a real eye opener… It forced me to realize everything I now know and understand is completely disconnected from the world I’ve left behind. And that the reverse is true. The folks back home have little to no comprehension of the real situation here. It is jarring.
Things here are intense and we soldiers, sailors, airmen and marines are now immersed in the same anxiety and terror tactics the Iraqis have been forced to deal with for a lifetime. The folks back home are immersed in the cultural “comforts” of home and security that most here can’t even imagine.

My shocking realization more than anything tells me our time here is limited regardless of the actual gains we are seeing in Al Anbar and notwithstanding a real need to finish what we started. Despite any words to the contrary, Iraq is simply not a priority for the US public as a whole. They just do not understand the situation here or the ramifications of an early exit. Simply put, it does not directly affect their day to day lives now or in the short term foreseeable future. As a marketer I always have to ask myself if it will play in Middle America. For me I always base my assessment on my sister… She is my “US public.” A car bomb in a market is a horrible side note to her day and a group of soldiers blown up in a HUMVEE gives her a moment of grief and empathy - BUT - It does not directly affect her ability to get to her son’s soccer game. It does not directly interfere with her ability to keep up with what so-in-so is doing on her favorite Prime time TV show. It doesn’t even begin to get in the way of meeting up with her close friends to go shopping next week. Please understand this is not an indictment on her way of life… it’s just the reality.

The US is really too busy living their lives (rightfully so) and too tired of this struggle to be overly engaged in the fight. Unlike previous wars this operation is both too complex to understand and to disconnected to make any reasonable sense. (I believe less than 1% of the US public has any direct relationship to someone in uniform.) Meaning the US population as a whole is not as aware or mobilized for a real slog. For most life continues on at home as if there was peace on earth while both the people of Iraq and Coalition Forces struggle to figure out what their future really means.

2 comments:

JustRox said...

My dear Lieutenant: If you don't stop that you'll go blind!!!

Unlike previous wars this operation is both too complex to understand and to disconnected to make any reasonable sense.

It seems to me the majority of American people are even more ignorant of the culture in the Middle East than the current Administration - and that's saying something! Furthermore, I think the fact that there's no clearly identifiable enemy (the military of some country), just "insurgents" of various stripes, makes things more confusing for John Q. Public. It makes their heads hurt to think; they're much better at being told what's what by the Man.

You're right, though. This is not like WWII, when US citizens were called upon to make sacrifices for the war effort. In fact, I can't say that I've even heard our leaders call for sacrifices on the part of citizens, other than our agreeing to cede some of our civil liberties "in the interest of national security." The f*cksticks don't even really tell us what it is you guys DO need over there; because in the telling they admit their failure to have properly planned this operation, and their utterly delusional understanding of how things would play out - especially when the troops aren't properly and fully equipped.

Beyond a whopping $600 refund several years ago, I have not benefited in the least from the tax cuts this Administration has passed (in wartime, no less!), and in fact I'd like to see some of the funding they've granted to other, far less important things (faith-based initiatives anyone?) to giving you guys whatever you need in order to straighten things up as much as possible and get the hell outta there.

The Iraqi people will do just fine on their own... they managed to do so for thousands of years before we arrived and they'll do so again. I think they know their own culture best, and it's up to them to sort out the issues they face. I don't doubt it will be difficult, due to their long history of tribalism and the pervasive influence of religion upon civil law but we have to trust that they'll do what's right for themselves and their children.

Which reminds me... I've got a new YouTube director favorite, Pat Condell. He's from the UK and has some interesting (and hilarious!!!) insights on Islam, Christianity, and religion in general. I think you'll enjoy him, and I hope you laugh as much as I did at some of his twisted axioms and analogies. It's enlightening to see how the rest of the world views us, that's for damned sure!

Stay Safe, my friend ((((Matt))))

Anonymous said...

Hi there Sandbox Sailor,

I'm a student at Bournemouth University in the UK and I'm writing a dissertation on milblogs. I was wondering if I could ask you a few questions on the subject?

Kind Regards, Andy (andygattica@yahoo.co.uk)