iraq news politics war terrorism terrorists insurgent cnn soldier sailor navy army marine mortar gun bomb attack iran middle east

Wednesday, March 21, 2007

And for my next performance…

OK so it’s over a week now… my new attitude (“Operation: Happy-dog” as Capt KJ coined it) is in full effect. Amazingly the world looks a lot different. At the beginning it was a bit challenging to stay detached esp. with an 800lb gorilla leader type running around trying his best to make everyone’s life miserable (including me) simply because he is miserable. But a few well placed thorns and a couple of Hollywood-ism in his side and he pretty much leaves me be. I spose you could say I am the insurgency to his “Operation: Miserable-Dog.” He storms around here spreading anger and displeasure and I follow up with positive and encouraging words. So who do you think is winning the hearts and minds around here? Now he tries to avoid me and I just smile and say “How’s Morale sir?” He hates my smile and usually just grumbles a response. I’m ornery enough to be pleased by this and tend to smile even bigger and counter with “Outstanding - And the family Sir?” “Damn Navy types!” “Oh no sir… Respectfully sir… Damn Texan type is more appropriate sir.” “Breedlove!?!” He believes I am always conspiring and that I am a subversive element. At first I protested… From the beginning I really tried hard to help him out. But some folks just don’t want the help. I now realize if being his antagonist means I am subversive then call me Mr. Conspirator.

Regardless of his antics I manage to maintain my crisp new attitude. It makes it easy to smile too. I’m even finding a way to get a solid 5 to 6 hours of sleep. Basically I am starting to feel my old CRM self again. Hell for that matter the whole world has turned upside down. Something more amazing has happened. A couple of days after changing my attitude I was ordered to my new job. As I mentioned before, the transition from one job and location to the other was not smooth but the work is completely engrossing. I’m on a great team that advises and write speeches for the big-guys. There is a down side as in no more days off but for the first time here I’m doing something that’s both challenging and fulfilling. That’s worth it. It’s hard to describe the gratification you get when something you’ve written or advised shows up on AP press or CNN or whatever news agency happens to capture the story. I think I may be able to make a difference here...

2 comments:

residentlush said...

ROFL. Now that sounds like Breedlove Classic (tm). ;)

Um, do want to point out, though, your 800lb gorilla is correct - you are conspiring and you are a subversive element...you are a marketing guy after all! :D

JustRox said...

Reminds me of the old saying, "Smile! It'll make people wonder what you're up to!"

I can imagine how exciting and gratifying it must be for you to be involved in speech-writing for the brass. It's exciting to ME and I'm not even involved!

As for making a difference, you already have - along with every one of your brothers and sisters in arms - simply by being there. Of all the people in the world I could think of to best represent me as an American, while defending those ideals that make our country great, no one could be better than you.

Once again, thank you from the bottom of my black, godless heart. May you, the 800 lb. gorilla, and all of you there stay safe, sane and come home SOON! I miss you, Tex!