iraq news politics war terrorism terrorists insurgent cnn soldier sailor navy army marine mortar gun bomb attack iran middle east

Sunday, March 25, 2007

In a moments notice - the moment is all you have

Faint screeching whistle… distant… growing louder… getting closer… pitch cycles downward… quick harsh screams from others near by… realization… “Oh Hell”… body thrown quickly to dusty earth… search out additional cover… press up against tree… check battle buddy… get small - draw up tight… fetal… screeching louder just above… look up to the dark sky… searching in vain… then silence… cover your head brother…cover your head… more silence…CRACK-BOOM! Too close… too exposed… need better shelter… grab buddy… head for blast cover… heart pounding… adrenaline kicking… smell of sulfur… dust in air… Too close – Too close. Hey I think I skinned my knee.

digg story

2 comments:

monster's mom said...

My knee hurt yesterday out of the blue. No reason for pain. I thought I had arthritis, but now I know. It was you.

Anonymous said...

Now, I trust that you will give Suzanne a couple of days in country to collect her breath before you introduce her to the excitement of "B"

Sandee