iraq news politics war terrorism terrorists insurgent cnn soldier sailor navy army marine mortar gun bomb attack iran middle east

Thursday, February 15, 2007

Quick! What were the first words you spoke this morning?

On a typical day I probably wouldn’t remember - but here in Baghdad, what's typical? I realized yesterday that relative to the past couple of weeks the recent few mornings were quiet; quiet as in no thundering booms. To clarify most mornings seem to start with a couple of mortars, rockets VBIEDs or some thing going bump in the dawn. Part of the reason for the sleep deprivation I often allude to. This morning was starting out the same. I was in a semi-conscious state, beginning to wake on my own, when there was a sudden rumbling BOOM that shook the hooch. This was across the river but it was big and closer than usual. "Son-Of-A-Bitch!" These are my actual first words of the day. Spoken more in a frustrated annoyance than fear; actually – I was only startled because I was so abruptly awoken but other than that I was just frustrated with having my peaceful sleep disturbed by such non-sense. This was the beginning of an interesting day. We lost power for the first time during my stay here. By itself it's no big deal but the best part was Mr. BUA was in the middle of a haircut when the outage happened. You can imagine the humor in a half shaved head. What's even funnier is the grief he got from the barber when he returned for the second half of his head. "You've already been here today." The barber exclaimed, "Yeah – but I'd sort of like the rest of my haircut if that’s OK with you…" For me I enjoyed the half hour conversation I had with Mr. BUA and his half-shaved head. So as I say what's typical here in Baghdad?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mr Bua is glad he is here to entertain you. By the way Happy Dog, meet any new people lately.

USCtroJen said...

TOO Funny!

It doesn't sound like anyone snapped a quick pic of the fancy 'do.

Hmm... Power outage... I wonder if that's how the Mo Hawk was originally invented...

(apologies if this posts twice, blogger crashed in the middle of this the first time.)