iraq news politics war terrorism terrorists insurgent cnn soldier sailor navy army marine mortar gun bomb attack iran middle east

Thursday, January 25, 2007

Toto… We're definitely not in Kansas anymore!

Sure things happen here all the time. It's a war zone. But in the confines of where I work it tends to get lost in all the politics. Seems no matter where I go I find myself in the most "challenging" of positions and my new role here is by no means different. This could be the inner sanctum of Warner Bros. but I liken it more to my days at Disney. However at both of those places I never had to think about the walls shaking, the glass blowing inward, and shrapnel tearing through the concrete and mortar. Things have been a bit tense here over the past couple of days. Watch the news and you know that. My roommate had a rocket land a couple hundred yards away the other night. That may not seem close but it got his attention enough to keep him up all night so he could call his kids and hear their voice. Today it was my turn. It was closer than a couple hundred yards. I was in the middle of politics when the rocket came in. Let's just say I've got great reflexes. My duck in cover definitely squatted and quacked. The concrete barriers and the glass film sealant did their job well and were all that kept the room from spraying with shards. To be sure I and all my folks here are safe… we went back to the meeting at hand after all the war must go on. Just another day in the neighborhood and another night in paradise.

By the way I've been here a month today! Yippee forever to go!

No comments: