iraq news politics war terrorism terrorists insurgent cnn soldier sailor navy army marine mortar gun bomb attack iran middle east

Sunday, December 03, 2006

For what we are about to receive... Columbia SC – Fort Jackson/Camp

After a nice 4 hour wait sitting on the floor of baggage in the Columbia Airport, I and about 70 other Sailors were shuttled to Fort McCrady where we then rolled into Admin office for quick ID check then into a class room for check-in and billeting and a quick indoctrination to the Army. Apparently there is only one real word we need to know… “Hooah”. We were then divided out and assigned to our platoons and barracks. I am now in 4th Squad, 3rd Platoon, Company C. I receive my sheets and a general issue green wool blanket and told to head to barracks 3938 to choose a bunk. I have no less than 61 to choose from. Doh! Open bay barracks with community showers. Sort of like summer camp for kids that don’t grow up. Efficient, this is not. Next comes a trip to the chow hall followed by a stop over at the shoppette for mandated uniform insignia (not provided by the army) One check out line 260 people in a store the size of a 20 by 15 room. You do the math. And afterwaking up at 04:00 and not getting to sleep in my “rack” until nearly 23:30 I’m more than a little frustrated and tired.

No comments: