iraq news politics war terrorism terrorists insurgent cnn soldier sailor navy army marine mortar gun bomb attack iran middle east

Saturday, October 06, 2007

Well now… This is a day to remember.

I woke up to a rumble… then another… and another. It's been relatively quiet around here lately so this break in the norm seemed a bit extraordinary. I had to take a look outside to see for myself. I was pleased and amazed to see cloudy skies and big rain drops. Not much but enough to realize that yes there is such thing as weather beyond a cloudless sunny 95+ degree day.

The words were as unbelievable as they were shocking… "LT you may want to get used to the idea of leaving Iraq a little earlier than we anticipated." The comment was so unexpected it fell flat like a dull thud. Our admin officer shuffled there in front of me looking for a reaction. "Front office isn't too happy about it either…" she trailed off still searching for something. My experience with the orders process thus far has been "unpredictable" to put it mildly. It only stands to reason that my leaving would become just as disorderly as my arriving. I gave her my now typical wry smile, "Hmmm… let me think about that for a moment. OK I'm used to the idea. Now let's make it happen." And there I was… standing in disbelief in a now empty hallway, wearing a goofy smile, and confirmation that this extreme summer camp actually has an end date…a date I can mark on the calendar. Barring any "unforeseens" I am assured I will be back in the states in time for the holidays.

And tomorrow I go on Pass for a few days… Yeah – this has the makings of a good day.

9 comments:

residentlush said...

Seeing's how pretty much every order you've had has been subject to the SNAFU SOP, I'm not gonna get my hopes up too much...awww, the hell with it - WOOHOOOOO!!!!!! ;)

Zetty said...

Hot damn, it's about time! Yayayayayayaya!!!!!!

Zetty said...

Do I still have time to send a package? I have one ready to go sitting on my desk next to me. I was going to send it out tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Keep us up to date on the developments, then! And hooray that you won't have to miss the holidays (again)!!! Will anyone be calling you "Santa" around home? :)

Barklee said...

Can't wait! Hope you've got your dog toy throwing skillz honed!

Anonymous said...

mr bua is very pleased. he will praise the bua gods for this news. come home soon and resume your selling of america's soul.

The Berminator said...

Now that IS good news! Can't wait to have you in our clutches again.

Anonymous said...

It all sounds good from there.....
can't wait for you to get back!!!!

Stay Safe

Anonymous said...

OH YAY YAY YAY!!!! We are so excited to hear the official DATE! PLEASE keep us posted!!!
Cara and Mike