iraq news politics war terrorism terrorists insurgent cnn soldier sailor navy army marine mortar gun bomb attack iran middle east

Wednesday, April 18, 2007

“Heart-wrenching”

I wrote a briefing that used that word… as in the challenges the Iraqi people face have been “heart-wrenching.” The word didn’t make the final chop. Quite possibly for the right reasons. I have no issue with having my work edited. As a matter of fact I welcome revisions. The final product, I feel, always ends up so much stronger when the team inserts their various experiences and perspectives. So today’s briefing went on without that word and as a matter of fact the engagement went great. More over the specific phrase, edited by the team, was so strong and pronounced that it become the quote used in many major outlets. So the team once again was right on the mark

After our engagement we came back to the office to find multiple car bombs with a tremendous amount of Iraqi casualties. As we always do, we jumped into action and begin to ply our trade. However I saw something in all of us. This event really spent us in some way. I thought about our recent experience out with the Iraqi people and I can say that for me this is the first time those numbers are not merely figures on paper. They represent real men, women, and children who were simply trying to live their lives. Soccer players. Studio technicians. Proud Moms. Eager Dads. And nosy smiling kids on their bikes. It all brings me back to one simple word… "Heart-wrenching!"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

There are feelings in those words that do not begin to convey the message they represent. You try to go the stoic route, but sooner or later it hits all of us. You care because you are a good person. Keep focused and whenever the system wears you down, remember those people trying to make it in the street. Remember the troops patroling the street. And remember, sooner or later, all wars must come to an end.

Mr Bua

Anonymous said...

Hi Matt, As I read "heart-wrenching", to see what you see, to go throught what you go through - I just wanted to say -- Thank you...Thank you for sharing your daily experience in Iraq, for me, an eye opener on Iraqi people and their lives. And to see your leadership and strength, its very comforting....so again Thank you.

Take Care - Shazza

JustRox said...

"Heart-wrenching" indeed; and anyone with an ounce of humanity tags this whole thing as such, regardless of its being said or not.

I cannot imagine the difficulty of living day-to-day in a war zone; having to become desensitized to chaos, violence and death... but I suppose that psychologically, such desensitization must take place to some degree, simply as a survival mechanism. It serves to lessen the shock and horror that can be deadly distractions from the business of staying vigilant in order to stay alive.

Echoing Shazza, my thanks to you from the depths of my heart for sharing (even if I lurk more than I post, heh) and for putting yourselves in harm's way in the service of our country - and for the protection of Iraqi citizens.

Love and miss you lots, Lieutenant!